Friday 20 June 2014

Tosyn Bucknor Shares Her Story As A Sicker To Mark World Sickle Cell Day




To mark World Sickle Cell Awareness Day, top OAP Tosyn Bucknor has shared her inspiring 
life journey as a sickler. 

Read her story below and really i pray God heals all sicklers. PLEASE don't make the mistake of getting married for love when you know you are both AS. Don't be mean to your innocent unborn children. God bless you all. 

"It's World Sickle Day and it's a day I can say I am thankful. Thankful for a dad that would miss work to take me to the hospital, a mum that would know I was ill before even I knew it and a sister that was the easiest and the best to live with. Thankful for the years I spent full of self-pity (why me o Lord), and the depression, because without battling that, how else would I recognize it in others and help?

 Thankful for the turn around. I can never fully explain it, but between writing poems, stories and thoughts down, I found a breakthrough. And even though it is uncool to talk about God, I can't deny that I had a personal encounter that changed my life. Thankful because I honestly thought I would be dead by now. I didn't think I'd live past 21 so even though I enjoyed school and life, I had no plans for after. No plans to marry, have kids, work, nothing. 

So imagine my surprise that I'm alive. Lol. Thankful for Fountain, QC, Unilag, Law School and any institution I have gone through. Thankful for the people who have employed me, trusted my brands in their hands without worrying about 'o I'm hiring a sickler o". 

Thankful that I have a gift and a voice, and even though people think I should hide it, not be open about it, I am thankful that sickle cell is not, has never been, and will never be something to be ashamed of. Thankful for the phrase that changed my life- it is not how long you live that counts, but how well. Not everyone's sickle cell story is the same. That is why we need to keep talking. We have to #StopTheStigma and #FindACure I am a #SickleStar"

No comments:

Post a Comment